Books for Younguns, Young Adults and the Young-at-Heart

Monday, February 27, 2012

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is hosted by Book Journey with a children's book edition at Teach Mentor Texts.

This week, I read:
The adult novel American Dervish by Ayad Akhtar, in preparation for his author visit.
The nonfiction picture book Heart and Soul: The Story of America and African Americans by Kadir Nelson, in preparation for his author visit.
hitRECord's RECollection: Volume 1 compiled by Joseph Gordon-Levitt, just because it's been sitting around unread too long.

I also started Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins, the third book in the Hunger Games trilogy.  (Yes, I'm behind.)

This week was also full of picture F&Gs for order prep, this time from MPS:
Barnum's Bones: How Barnum Brown Discovered the Most Famous Dinosaur in the World by Tracey Fern, illustrated by Boris Kulikov
Zoom, Rocket, Zoom! by Margaret Mayo, illustrated by Alex Ayliffe
The Scariest Thing of All by Deb Gliori
Little Nelly's Big Book by Pippa Goodhart, illustrated by Andy Rowland
Survival at 120 Above by Debbie S. Miller, illustrated by Jon Van Zyle
Who's Who? by Ken Geist, illustrated by Henry Cole
Frankenstein: A Monstrous Parody by Ludworst Bemonster
Cock-A-Doodle-Dance! by Christine Tricarico, illustrated by Rich Deas
Flabbersmashed about You by Rachel Vail, illustrated by Yumi Heo
Horsefly and Honeybee by Randy Cecil
Granny Lamby and the Secret Handshake by Kate Klise and M. Sarah Klise
Summer Days and Nights by Wong Herbert Yee
The Monster Who Lost His Mean by Tiffany Strelitz Haber, illustrated by Kirstie Edmunds
Leopard and Silkie: One Boy's Quest to Save the Seal Pups by Brenda Peterson, photographs by Robin Lindsey
Suryia Swims!: The True Story of How an Orangutan Learned to Swim by Bhagavan "Doc" Antle with Thea Feldman, photographs by Barry Bland
Red, White, and Boom! by Lee Wardlaw, illustrated by Huy Voun Lee
Kate and Pippin: An Unlikely Love Story by Martin Springett, photographs by Isobel Springett
Machines Go to Work in the City by William Low
Awesome Autumn: All Kinds of Fall Facts and Fun by Bruce Goldstone
B Is for Brooklyn by Selina Alko
Mom, It's My First Day of Kindergarten! by Hyewon Yum
Even Aliens Need Snacks by Matthew McElligott
On My Way to the Bath by Sarah Maizes, illustrated by Michael Paraskevas

And last but not least, a few other picture books I grabbed from the shelves for various reasons:
Crafty Chloe by Kelly DiPucchio, illustrated by Heather Ross
Seen Art? by Jon Scieszka and Lane Smith
Clackers: Penguin by Luana Rinaldo and C. Nash
Blackout by John Rocco

What are you reading?

10 comments:

  1. i'm about halfway through 'daughter of smoke and bone.' verdict so far--awesome.

    i finished 'the night circus' last week, and it was equally awesome.

    and i'm required to ask that you share your thoughts when you finish 'mockingjay.'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Daughter of Smoke and Bone has been sitting on my reading list for some time. Maybe I'll get to it before the sequel comes out...

      I will definitely be sharing my thoughts on Mockingjay as there are already many. I'm sure I'll have opinions on the movie, too.

      Delete
  2. I loved Heart and Soul, a gift from friends for Christmas, and Blackout. You have so many picture books on the list, some I know, but others no. There are so many! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heart and Soul is a perfect gift book. The kind of thing you can see passing down to the next generation.

      Most of the picture books on this list won't be out until summer. Some aren't even on Goodreads yet. I'll be highlighting as many of the good ones as I can as they appear on shelves.

      Delete
  3. Seen Art looks intriguing! Adding it to my TBR! Thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seen Art? is great for introducing kids to a wide variety of modern artists and the concept of debating whether things count as "art". It's also very pretty.

      Thanks for coming by and commenting!

      Delete
  4. I LOVED Heart & Soul, Blackout and Seen Art? All three very good books.
    And btw, I am so jealous that Kadir Nelson is coming to visit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be jealous right along with you since I have a prior engagement keeping my from the actual event. I just try to read the all the children's books attached to our store's events so I can discuss them intelligently.

      Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  5. So what did you think of "On My Way to the Bath"?! I'm the author, Sarah Maizes. I hope you enjoyed it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed it. It's definitely coming to our shelves. And actually, I didn't get a copy in my advance kit, but my sales rep liked it so much he waited for me to read it in the middle of our meeting, so you've got a good team behind you!

      Delete